What is Assistive Technology?
Assistive Technology (AT) captures our mission which is a life without limits. At UCP of Western Massachusetts we offer many avenues for expanding knowledge about assistive technology solutions through referral-based evaluations. AT has a positive impact on the well-being of an individual and their family as well improving community participation.
KEY FACTS ABOUT AT:
- AT is any piece of equipment or device used to improve an individual’s technical function and independence.
- Spans from no and low technical solutions to high technical solutions.
- Devices can assist with activities of daily living (ADLS) such as dressing, grooming, and cooking. Medication dispenser with reminding alarm, talking clocks, scales for visually impaired.
- AT can also assist in regulating emotional support for individuals coping in stressful situations.
Simply put, AT is very useful tool that can have an immediate impact on a person’s wellbeing.
An AT evaluation is a team process that helps identify the best tools to support a person during their daily routine. Evaluation assesses an individual’s need for assistive technology use.
Referral for AT evaluations are obtained through state funding agencies including the Department of Developmental Disabilities and MassAbility. See below on how you can gain access to AT services.
Department of Developmental Services (DDS):
- Consult with your DDS Service Coordinator about the ways Assistive technology can support your daily routine for you to be more independent.
- DDS will assist you with paying for the AT evaluation, solutions, and equipment.
MassAbility (formally known as Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC)
- Consult with your MassAbility Counselor about the ways Assistive Technology can support your daily routine for you to be more independent.
- MRC will assist you with paying for the AT evaluation, solutions, and equipment.
Here are some examples of AT Solutions that UCP of Western Massachusetts can provide:
No Tech Solutions
Long Handled Shoe Horn
Low Tech Solutions
Smart Home Devices
Comfort Dogs & Cats
Voice Command Software
Switch Toys for Children
Obi Robotic Arm
Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
And these are just a FEW of the items!